Sunday, May 21, 2006

I supported me some local art.

About a month ago, my friend Donia completed her move to Greece, trucking all her art overseas or putting it in storage. Before she did, I bought this:



I must say that seeing it on my wall daily brings me immense pleasure. With true fine art, the more you see, the more you get. This is definitely the case with this piece. Depending on the time of day, the angle of light or the state of mind, it always shows me something different.

This pastel, framed at 14x18", ran me $1200, and I believe Donia cut me a break as a close friend. It's a distinct pleasure to pay her for her work. It validates her as a working artist and me as a income-less master of the arts.

Now, budding collectors, do I have $1200? Certainly not. Do I have next month's rent in my bank account? Certainly not. Did I just make a mad batch of pasta to feed me for the week? I did. Nevertheless, I cut Donia a check for $200, and I'll be paying her in monthly installments until it's paid for. This is similar to arrangements I have with other friends like Chase Mastercard, the Student Loan Corporation, Citibank, and MBNA.

This blog is not about credit martyrdom, however, but supporting local culture. Since most of our daily expended monies go to multinational conglomerate corporations, I encourage you to find a way, any way, to support something you have direct contact with. Buy somebody's art. Buy somebody's music. Buy stuff out of the truck on the side of the highway - that stuff is the bomb.

If, for example, you wanted to buy my latest album, Hypocrisy in the Genius Room, you could go to iTunes or email me your address and I'll send you a "hard copy" for the low-low price of $10. I actually prefer hard copies because I like to pour over the linear notes as I listen to the album, and my album insert has all the lyrics, plus two drawings of monkeys by me and my brother (see below for one). Drawings of monkeys in the linear notes? I ought to being charging $1200.

But if I sell 120 copies, it'll pay for Donia's painting. With 79,670,960 in my extended network, I'm kind of banking on making this a reality.



No comments: